Sunday, February 9, 2014

Soupy Sunday...SBIFF Writers Panel!


I had the most wonderful experience yesterday!
I had the time and chance to attend the Santa Barbara Film Festival Writers Panel at the Lobero Theater. As you can see in the photo, it was a full house! The line was around the block. It extended down Anacapa Street!


The energy of the room was electric and the panelists were witty and eloquent. Much of what you would expect from writers. The panelists included: Craig Borten, Bob Nelson, Jeff Pope, John Ridley, Eric Warren Singer, the panel was expertly moderated by Anne Thompson.

All of the panelists were not only passionate about their projects but, also inspired and that energy translated to the audience, of which, at least speaking for myself, had a great time.
Mr. Borten spoke of his latest project 'The Dallas Buyers Club" which concerns the life story of Ron Woodruff and his HIV-AIDS medication smuggling operation. A very important story of human need and the ability to persevere through prejudice. Mr. Nelson was the comedian of the group and kept me and the audience laughing. His film 'Nebraska' is one of the hits of the SBIFF and he was thoroughly enjoying his time here! Mr. Pope, with his British accent, was also funny and at times emotional about his project 'Philomena'. As he related the story of Philomena and her guilt and sadness not of only giving up her child for adoption but, also feeling that she had committed a mortal sin by having a child out of wedlock. I found Mr. Pope's talk of the impact of societal pressure and limitations incredibly powerful and the realization that this type of thinking has hopefully passed from our world in the twenty-first century. John Ridley and his project '12 Years a Slave', was the most emotional of the group and his sensitivity had us eating out of his hands. Mr. Ridley is a truly gifted writer and this appearance here at SBIFF confirmed that for me.  I like to think of myself as an old stoneface but, Mr. Ridley brought a tear to my eye and many in the audience were blatantly in tears. Mr. Singer and his project 'American Hustle' concerning the ABSCAM operation was the most pragmatic of the group and gave us the structure behind his writing process as well as the details of his emotional turmoil during that process. I don't want to forget Ms. Thompson! Her insightful questions kept the panel moving and on their toes.
I would like to thank all the people that make the SBIFF possible. I had great time and I'm inspired to finish that screenplay that I'm currently working on. I have so many more ideas for others!

And...finally! Here is today's soup for the soul on the stove!
Have a soupy Sunday!




No comments: