Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tech Savvy Saturday...The VirtualBox!

As a techie, I like to play with the operating systems. The hard way would be to find a machine that the operating system can be installed on. This can be time consuming and usually ends in frustration some where along the line. Early on I was intrigued by the Virtual PC. This had many incarnations and was finally purchased by Microsoft and today it is the basis for the Hypervisor. Still, if you just want to experience a system or break some part of it by building or installing something that you really shouldn't, an expensive MS server is not an option. To fill that void, I found the VirtualBox to be the perfect virtual PC for my needs.
It works as an application on many different systems. Here it is on Ubuntu running my LAMP development stack on Xubuntu.
OpenSUSE on VirtualBox with a Win 7 host.  It works great!
My machines listed in VirtualBox. I like to try out the latest builds of Linux.
It's not only fun for Linux. Here is Windows 2000! I run some old graphics software and I have it using an old Epson printer. It's very fast! Better than the actual computer that I had this on.
Anywho, if you have the time and the space on your computer, give the VirtualBox a try.
It's fun!
Have a great Saturday!




No comments: